Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Off to the races...

Well, not on foot really... but races none the less! As some of you may know, I will be competing in the Rolex International Women's Keelboat Championship next week down in Galveston Bay. A few people have asked me for more information on the race, so I thought I would post some links here. I will be competing as a part of a three woman crew against 41 other all-women teams from all over the United States, along with a few international teams from Canada, South Africa, and the B.V.I.'s. The Rolex event will be really snazzy - I heard some gossip that Rolex is bringing in new furniture for the Houston Yacht Club during the event, because what was there didn't meet their standards. And the HYC is already a really really nice facility. I was there for the District Circuit Regatta this past weekend and had a chance to check out the local scene.

Here is general information on the race: http://www.riwkc.com/

The competition for this event will be stiff, including America's Cup Veterans, and cross-training Olympian teams. Here's a preview of some of the rockstars whose dirty air we will probably be eating: http://www.ussailing.org/pressreleases/2007/riwkcpreview1.asp

Daily race results will be posted here: http://www.riwkc.com/index.php?pageID=3

To find out how we are doing in the standing each day look for out boat, "Dea Latis" - she will be listed as bow number 34/ sail number 984. Our skipper's name is Renee Ruais. "Dea Latis" is the Irish Goddess of Water and Beer, my skipper figured her an ideal patron to watch over our water-loving, beer-loving sail addiction.

And there will also be a daily photo gallery: http://www.riwkc.com/index.php?pageID=73 On top of the daily races, there are cocktail parties every evening, including some sort of hay ride and a private party at the Nasa space center. So instead of Run, Drink, Repeat, I will be taking a week to Sail, Drink, Repeat. I will miss you all though! Best of luck to everyone on your runs while I am gone!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

That is so cool! Good luck!