Monday, July 23, 2007

Cops and Joggers 5K Recap, Edited

Dullest title ever.

Anyway, thanks, and kudos to those who got up early and came out to the Cops and Joggers 5K - Mandy, Paul and Michelle.

I got a Myspace message from Mandy as I was getting ready Saturday morning, asking why she was up at 5:45am on a Saturday morning to run with me in a thunderstorm to support cops...

As if that wasn't bad enough, Mandy got put to work. We got there at about 6:35, and there was a good turnout, tons of people, but all standing in a long line. The race director had run into problems, and wasn't there with the bib bumbers and some other materials. Tons of people were waiting just to pick up their packets, so we jumped in and got things moving. I'm certain it has to be some sort of record for Mandy, being surrounded by the police for that long and not getting arrested. With her help, we got people their packets, and were moving people through registration quickly by the time the numbers arrived.

The race was great, and the course was fast, with the long stretch up Lavaca well-placed in the middle of the race. Mandy and Paul finished well, and Michelle ran non-stop, I believe, on her first run in months.

I don't have final numbers, but we far exceeded last year's 180 runners early last week - when I signed up on Friday afternoon, I was 242. I'm hoping that we hit 300.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Team Spiridon? You and your big words. Cool that Michelle ran- WTG Team!

shahnananaz said...

congrats guys on a great run despite the rain!!! meanwhile, i diligently ran my 8 miles in Santa Barbara this weekend before the annual California Wine Festival.. yummy yummy yummy!!!

mstreetman said...

Ok, so I would love to say yes I ran the entire course but I ran all of the flats and downhills. I'm still a no-go on hills (drs orders) due to the strain on my heel but figured I would compromise and do the downhills. I was questioning my decision on the downhill side when I hit the CLIFF from 7th to 6th St. I did do some of the uphills but would do them a block at a time.

However, I did run at least half to three-quarters of it and my foot did not act up at any point during the race which is a moral victory in itself.